WE WANT YOU TO GET YOUR SECURITY DEPOSIT BACK.
If you are reading this article now, you are probably the type of resident who takes care of their unit.
As a consequence, you want to get your security deposit back as soon as possible, and the whole thing.
Fair enough; this article is for you.
Move Out Checklist: So That You Don’t Lose One Penny.
We made the instructions detailed so that there will be no doubt about what you have to do to get all of your security deposit back.
Please carefully read these detailed instructions. If you don’t, you risk loosing your security deposit, and possibly charges in excess of the security deposit. If you have any questions at all, contact our office and we’ll be glad to go over that with you.
When you move out of the property, you must submit your that you will be moving 30 days in advance of your move in writing to the office of OKC Home Realty Services.
Contact our office to schedule a pre-move out inspection 10 or so days prior to moving. We’ll tell you exactly what you’ll need to do at the pre-move out inspection in order to get your security deposit back.
Provide your forwarding address to our office so we can process and mail your security deposit refund.
Security deposits dispositions are sent out within 30 days from the lease end date. We really appreciate your business!
And remember, if we have to do the cleaning and/or repairs, we’ll have to charge you for all the labor and materials.
Returning the Security Deposit
We love it when we can return 100% of your security deposit because that means less work for us.
That does mean that you need to hold up your end of the bargain. For you to get back your deposit you must fulfill the terms of the lease and follow these move out instructions.
Tuning in Your Keys and the Forwarding Address
All your keys (house keys, mail box keys, garage remotes, entry fobs, etc) must be dropped off at the office of OKC Home Realty Services before 5:00 PM on the last day of your lease term. All items should be placed in a padded envelope with your name, property address and your new forwarding address.
If you fail to return your keys you will be considered a “holdover tenant”. This is a violation of your lease agreement. You will incur costly penalties.
Turning Off Utilities
Leave the utilities on until after the move-out inspection. Failing to do so may result in delays in getting your security deposit returned.
Stopping Automatic Rent Payments
It’s your responsibility to stop any types of autopay. If you have been using on the services such as Chase Quickpay, please be sure to deactivate your payment.
OKC Home Realty Services will conduct the final move out inspection once you have completely moved out and have returned all the keys to the property. We compare the Move-In Inspection sheet you completed when you moved in to the current condition of the property.
Read More: Do I need to be there for the inspection?
Please have the property in rent-ready condition for the inspection. You can prepare for the inspection by the following the Move Out Checklist.
Inspections are not performed with the resident.
The Process of Releasing The Property
If the owner of your property is choosing to re-rent, we may be scheduling showings at the property. We will began advertising the property as soon as you provide your 30-day notice. We will start conducting showings one month before your lease ends. According to Oklahoma law and your lease, you will be given at least 24 hours notice before any showing. We do our best to minimize disruptions, and will not inconvenience you if at all possible.
It’s in your best interest to keep the property in show condition. That will increase the chances of us renting sooner, and get us out of your hair. Keep you pets put up for showings.
Painting & Picture Hanger Holes – What not to do
Please do not fill small holes in your walls with spackling compound or something similar. Also, it’s often better not to do touch-up painting. You can make the situation worse. It may require us to do a total repaint the walls at your expense!
Look, small holes are normally considered normal wear and tear. But sometimes it’s more.
If the walls are really bad and they need to be painted or touched up, please contact us and we can help you through that process.
Your lease requires you leave the property in the condition it was when you first moved in, normal wear and tear excepted. If there are items that you have damaged, such as broken blinds, screens, door handles, trim, cabinets, toilet paper holders, towel racks, etc., you will have to fix those items or be charged for them.
But sometimes it’s more than you can handle. I get that.
If it’s over your head, contact us so we can work something out.
The cleaning requirements are outlined in the Move Out Checklist. Careful attention and meticulous cleaning will ensure prompt return of your deposit.
Cleaning can be tiresome. And, add the hassle of moving on top of that, and it can all be too much. You can hire a professional cleaner if you feel you will not have the energy or time to properly clean the property. You should provide the cleaner with this check list to ensure they get everything. Do NOT leave the property unclean.
If you need us to, we can refer you to a cleaning service that will take care of this.
Dirt is not considered ordinary wear and tear! You will be charged for cleaning that dirt.
Carpet and Other Flooring
All carpet must be shampooed. If you have had a pet in the property you are required to treat for fleas and address any pet stains. If the carpets have not been properly cleaned, we will hire a professional service to have the carpet cleaned, and the cost of that cleaning will be charged to the security deposit.
Hardwood floors must not be scratched. Be especially careful when you are moving to avoid scratching the floors.
- All burned out light bulbs and batteries on smoke and/or CO detectors must be replaced. They also must be on the walls where they belong.
- Damages caused to the property must be repaired (e.g., a broken windows, marks on trim, etc.). If it will not be possible for you to complete repairs before you leave the property, let us know.
- Absolutely no trash shall be left at the property. Put trash cans on the curb so the trash is hauled off. Make sure the trash is hauled off before you discontinue service. You’ll be charged from your security deposit if we have to haul off the trash.
- All marks on the walls must be cleaned off.
- You must dust all blinds and especially ceiling fan blinds.
- You must dust all window sills and tracks, baseboards, light fixtures, and everything else that has collected dust.
- All floors must be cleaned. In addition, you must clean under all appliances.
- Make sure you clean the fireplace, if applicable.
- Be sure to remove cobwebs from the property, including ceilings, windows, corners, behind doors, appliances, light fixtures, etc.
- You must wipe down walls, back-splashes, and cabinets, and counter tops.
- You must sweep and mop floor
- You must clean sink and drains.
- You must clean outside and inside of oven (replace drip pans if they are nasty) and vent hood, stove-top, control panel and dials.
- You must clean microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator (freezer and top).
- You must clean all cupboards and drawers inside and out.
- You must clean bathtub and/or shower, including fixtures.
- You must clean sink and faucet fixtures
- You must clean all tile and grout.
- You must clean all mirrors, medicine cabinets, drawers should be cleaned and all items removed, and other surfaces.
- You must clean and sanitize toilet.
- You must wash or mop the floor.
- You must vacuum and shampoo carpets, including edges. Sweep and mop wood and/or tile flooring.
- You must clean windows, window sills, and blinds.
- You must remove all items including any junk.
- You must sweep floor.
- You must remove any auto fluid stains.
- You must remove dead leaves, debris, limbs, junk, etc.
- You must mow the lawn and edge the yard.
- You must trim hedges and shrubs.
- You must sweep walks, decks, and patios.
- You must remove all pet waste and repair related damage.
Remove all personal items from sheds and outbuildings.